Friday 18 May 2012

Marvellous Morito


Rewind a month or so and a good friend of mine suggested we meet for dinner at a small tapas place near her work as she’d been a few times and could testify that the food was good. Being a big fan of tapas (oh hello Spanish holiday next week!), I was more than happy to go with her recommendation. And therein I discovered Morito; the younger sibling of Moro, (an institution in Exmouth Market) and I reckon there is definitely going to be some sibling rivalry on the cards with these two as I can honestly say Morito was fantastic. Much more casual and laid back than Moro next door, I was thoroughly impressed and couldn’t wait for an excuse to return.


So having arranged to meet an old uni friend for dinner this week, I put forward the suggestion of Morito and it was greeted with enthusiasm by Stefan so off we went for what proved to be another equally delicious evening.

There is a no booking policy in the evenings (yes, it's one of those places) and even when we got there early doors at 6.30pm, it was already full and really buzzing. Luckily we managed to get two stools at the counter (always where I prefer to sit if I can at a place like this as you really get to see what’s going on in the open kitchen plus the bar man is always close at hand to take your drinks order!) and I got to sample lots of dishes on the menu that I hadn’t had room to try on my 1st visit.





Worthy of a particular mention is the spiced shredded lamb with chickpeas, the oak cured beef as well as the montaditos (tapas on toasted bread) with anchovy, blue cheese and Iberico ham; all totally divine.  




Wine comes by the glass, carafe or bottle and is served in authentic Spanish beakers. They also do a mean Spanish take on the Mojito called a Rebojito made with Fino sherry, lemonade and lots & lots of fresh mint and crushed ice; very refreshing and a perfect aperitif whilst you’re perusing the extensive menu thinking ‘where do I start?’

Despite going two rounds of the tapas, and just into double figures in terms of the number of plates we ordered, I had to round the meal off with the Malaga Raisin Ice-cream. Now, let just say that I’m not even an ice-cream fan, I have it occasionally and it’s ok, but it doesn’t excite me. At all. Until I had this, a Spanish take on Rum & Raisin ice-cream, it is served in one of the wine beakers as a single generous scoop of raisin ice-cream then a good measure of delicious warm rum poured over the top…..it is SO good (as you can see my photography skills aren’t great and this photo does not do it justice!)



It was the most delicious end to a really tasty meal and I left Morito with that warm fuzzy feeling you get when you’ve enjoyed delicious food & wine in excellent company and the service has been top notch to boot.

I’m already planning my next visit…anyone fancy joining me?!


Morito

32 Exmouth Market

EC1R 4QE

t. 0207 278 7007




xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment